Malwarebytes has a web browser extension to help fight malware, called Malwarebytes Browser Guard. Malwarebytes customers know how good Malwarebytes is at keeping malware at bay. The idea of an additional extension in the browser by the same team is a comforting one. Here’s what Malwarebytes says about Browser Guard:
The browser extension that beats the scammers
Malwarebytes Browser Guard crushes unwanted and unsafe content, giving you safer and faster browsing. Not only that, it is the world’s first browser extension that can identify and stop tech support scams. We take on the bad guys so you don’t have to.
- Browse up to 4x faster
- Puts the hurt on tech support scammers
- Crushes clickbait ads
- Protects your privacy
- Stops malware in your browser
It’s worth trying or recommending
If you don’t have Malwarebytes 4.0 or you want to protect family members or friends who are not security savvy, it’s worth recommending that they try Browser Guard for Chrome, Edge, Firefox, or Safari. Here’s how to install it.
How to install Malwarebytes Browser Guard
1. To install this extension, visit Malwarebytes and choose your browser version. For Microsoft Edge, in this example, we can select Chrome because Chrome extensions now work in Edge. Clicking on Free Download For Chrome takes you to the Chrome extension Store:
2. In the Chrome Store, click on Add to Chrome.
3. When your browser asks you, click Add extension.
4. Here, Edge tells you that the extension has been added.
5. You can see the work that Browser Guard is doing by clicking the icon in the browser. The Current website tab shows you the protection status for the site you are visiting.
The Statistics tab shows you the number of trackers, malware, scams, and PUPs blocked. You can choose to show stats for Today, This Week (below), Two Weeks, or 30 Days.
That’s pretty much it. The Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension should offer peace of mind and help to keep malware at bay. You can download it free below for Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox browsers here:
Mac users can get it for Safari in the Mac App Store.
Malwarebytes Desktop App
For more complete system malware protection, here is the link to the Malwarebytes desktop app (available for Windows or Mac): Malwarebytes.com
There are quite a few security extensions available, so it’s easy to have at least one or two reputable ones working for you. If you have any different security extensions you prefer to use, be sure to leave a comment below, and we’ll check them out.
See the following list for other security-related content.
- Malwarebytes Premium is a Friend and Affiliate
- Second Opinion Anti-Malware Apps
- Free Security Apps for Windows
Do you use security browser extensions for Chrome or your prefered browser?
Grant is the webmaster here and a longtime PC enthusiast. He likes talking about computers and seeing other people enjoy theirs. When he’s not working or tinkering with this site, he enjoys playing Apex Legends. Grant lives in Japan as an English teacher and vegetable farmer.